Town of Torrey    ph. 315-536-6376
56 Geneva St.
Dresden, NY 14441
Sunset Over Torrey

Frequently Asked Questions

Who can verify my residency?
  • The Torrey Town Clerk CAN NOT verify residency. It must be obtained at the County Treasurer’s office at  417 Liberty St., Penn Yan, NT 315-536-5192

Can you tell me what I paid in taxes in 2008 ?
  • The town clerk has access to the past tax information.

If I have a non-emergency, how do I call the sheriff?
  • Dial 315-536-4438

How do I get a building permit?
  • Call or make an appointment with the Zoning Code Enforcement Officer and he will determine if a permit is necessary. Code Enforcement number: 315-730-3291, cell for appointment or 315-536-6823 (home) . Code Enforcement Officer is in the Torrey Town offices Wednesday from 10-12 AM.

Do you know who is going to be on the ballot? Where do we vote?
  • Voting is in the Town Offices at 56 Geneva St., Dresden, Primary or Election Day from 6 AM - 9PM

Who do I call to complain about the Highway ?
  • The Highway Superintendent can be reached at 315-536-3567. He welcomes your calls as you are the eyes and ears of the community.

Where is the Town Court ?
  • The Town Court is held at the back of the town offices at 56 Geneva St., Dresden, where there is a separate entrance for court clearly marked. Drive to the rear of the Town Office building.  Court is held on Tuesdays at 2:00 PM.

Do I need to license my dog?
  • All dogs over 3 months of age need to be licensed.  Proof of current rabies vaccination has to be presented. If an altered dog is claimed, proof of spay or neutering must be presented.

Where can I get a marriage license?
  • The Torrey Town Clerk is a Notary and can issue a marriaqe license.

Who can tell me about the genealogy of the people in Torrey ?
  • Torrey does not currently have a historian. Call the town office if you are interested in doing this as there are many records available from the prior historian.

When do I need a septic inspection ?
  • Every time a property is sold there needs to be an inspection. Call your septic pumper and tell them you need to have a septic inspection.  They will call the Watershed Inspector and set up a mutually convenient time when the work can be performed.

I am building a new house and need to put in a septic system. Whom do I call?
  • All new septic systems need to be designed by a Civil Engineer.  Call the Watershed Inspector and he will give you a list of CE’s that can design the appropriate system for you.

Where is the entrance to the Keuka Outlet Trail in Torrey ?
  • The entrance with adequate parking is near #102 on Seneca Street, on the west side of the railroad tracks.

How do I find instructions for filing a Traffic Ticket Reduction request?
  • Go to the Applications and Forms section of the website and you will see the Traffic Ticket Reduction request information in a downloadable format.

How do I dispose of lawn debris?
  • The Town of Torrey follows the New York State Open Burning Law found on the Department of Environmental Conservation website DEC

How do I report a toxic or hazardous waste spill ?

    The 24 hour hotline for reporting spills statewide is 1-800-457-7362. The day time number to report spills in the Seneca Lake watershed is 518-226-5433/585-226-5436 for the Region 8 Spill Response office. After normal business hours (after 4:45 p.m.), spills can be reported to the DEC through a dispatch service operated by the Hornell Fire Dept. by calling 607-324-4504.

How do I contact the Railroad that runs through the Town of Torrey?
  • Call Norfolk Southern Railroad at 1-800-946-4744

What do I do with my garbage?
  • Call a private disposal service for pickup.

Laundry Line

All Rights Reserved. Ver. 4.1
Copyright © 2024 Town of Torrey • New York • Yates County • Seneca Lake